Wednesday, March 2, 2016

9/11 and the Lost Generation

You've all probably heard me say (multiple times, I would assume) that Reign Over Me is my favorite film with Adam Sandler even though he is not the protagonist.  And much like Reign Over Me attempts to address the effects of 9/11, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close attempts to do the same.  This leads me to think of the Lost Generation - writers during the 1920s and 30s such as Ernest Hemingway, attempting to explain, understand, and cope with World War I.  Much of the work from this era did not focus on those that were directly involved with the causation of the Great War, but instead focused on those effected.

How does each of the films attempt to cope with and make sense of 9/11?  Which of the films resonates more strongly with you?  Why do you suppose that this is? 

No comments:

Post a Comment