Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Very

As I was sitting down to my cereal (Cinnamon Toast Crunch) and coffee this morning, I came across a quote that is not championed enough from the Dead Poets Society:   "Avoid using the word 'very' because it's lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted.  Don't use very sad, use morose.  Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do."  I then began thinking about your previous blog prompt - you know, that one you all complained about?  This blog will not be about Giant Mustard, however, it will be about Giant Ketchup!  Okay, okay, so I jest.

More than anything, the previous quote dredged up my hatred for word about which Mr. Keating (played by Robin Williams) is complaining.  And more so, about the difficulty of thinking.  If you google 'difficulty of thinking' you will get "about 57,300,000 results [in] (0.18 seconds);" you don't need to do this, because I already did. Henry Ford even notes the difficulty in thinking: "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

When we come in contact with a difficult activity, we are faced with two options: either give up, or practice.  Frankly, I am a fan of the latter because there is a great feeling of accomplishment after achieving something that seemed previously out of reach.  And let's be honest; how great is it to attain a feeling of fulfillment?

Continuing in this same vein, I am going to ask you to think for you blog prompt.  That's it.  Think.  You may be asking yourself "about what?" or be questioning my sanity, but I assure you this is your prompt.  You must write 250 words that demonstrate good writing conventions.  Pretty open-ended, eh?  Yes.  Take a chance.  Take a leap.  Meditate.  Think.

Oh, and one final note:  You may not use the word 'very.'

No comments:

Post a Comment